The Dam Safety Organisation of IDRB is a full-fledged cell headed by a Director, Dam Safety within the Irrigation Department under the Chief Engineer, Investigation & Designs, (Irrigation Design & Research Board), Thiruvananthapuram. A Joint Director, two Deputy Directors and six Assistant Directors carry out the functions of this wing. The important functions of this wing are as follows:
- Monitoring the Post and Pre-monsoon inspection of dams conducted by the field officers.
- Monitoring of maintenance and surveillance of the dam.
- Hydrological review to check the adequacy of the design flood.
- Preparation of emergency action plans for the dam.
- Interaction with the Dam Safety Organisation of Central Water Commission.
- Conducting training programs on dam safety