The Hydrology Wing of IDRB being one of the core components of the department which is responsible for collection, validation and distribution of all the water-related historic and real-time data of the water resources of the state. For this, a number of gauging stations have been installed in the rivers of the State since the inception of the Department and the data collection and the related works are presently entrusted with the Field Studies Circle, Thrissur.
The important functions of this wing are:
- Collection, tabulation and processing of daily reservoir level and storage volumes from the various completed irrigation projects.
- Flood discharge assessment of Irrigation structures, Peak flood estimation and Water Balance studies of river basins.
- Preparation of comments related to State Water Policy, National Water Policy.
- Preparation of State-Specific Action Plan under National Water Mission
- Implementation of the National Hydrology Project
- Publication of Surface Water Year Book for each year incorporating river gauge and rain gauge data in four volumes